Born the son of a Minnesota blacksmith in 1858, MacKinney has a heartfelt conversion to Christ at age 16 that leads him to dedicate his life to the ministry. He is a member of the committee that founds the Union Gospel Mission, which he later describes as “the greatest work of my life,” and guides it through early years of “very heavy” work.
Photo courtesy of the Minnesota Historical Society.
Leaders of the Union Gospel Mission, 1902 to the present
- Rev. Everson R. MacKinney, Superintendent – 1902-1906
- B.R. Weimer, Superintendent – 1907
- Rev. Joseph Harkness, Superintendent – 1908-1909
- Dr. Peter MacFarlane, Superintendent – 1909-1956
- Harold Mordh, Executive Director – 1957-1974
- George Verley, Executive Director – 1974-2002
- William Kenneth “Ken” Cooper, Executive Director – 2003-2006
- Rev. Kenneth Peterson, Executive Director – 2007-2014
- Dr. Charles P. Morgan, CEO – 2014-2020
- Pamela Stegora Axberg, CEO – 2020-present